Coordinates surgical bookings and hospital admissions for multiple clinicians either within the same or across multiple specialties and/or departments. Understands and effectively maneuvers the surgical booking process understanding and following the requirements for each hospital, insurance provider and clinician as well as applicable Client booking guidelines. Juggles and prioritizes various scheduling needs effectively.
· Schedules patients for hospital admissions and surgical procedures. Coordinates and books operating room time and surgeon’s time. Handles any needed rescheduling due to patient or facility conflicts. May work with other Client departments to resolve scheduling or booking conflicts.
· Interacts with patients throughout the booking process, responding to requests and providing information in a timely and compassionate manner. Ensures patients understand all their pre- and post-operative appointments as well as any necessary testing prior to surgery (e.g., lab or radiology work). Ensures necessary written material accurately reflects these appointments and includes any directions or special instructions in correspondence. Accurately relays information between patients and clinicians, often dealing with high levels of patient frustration or anxiety.
· Completes outside referral documents and obtains prior authorization for admission where applicable. Maintains and utilizes a thorough understanding and knowledge base of the different payors and the coverage they provide for surgeries. Ensures various requirements and procedures needed are met so that procedures can occur with minimal errors from an administrative standpoint. Keeps current with the changes in insurance company policies and procedures.
· Ensures that all necessary documents and preparatory activities have been selected and forwards all pertinent information to the hospital prior to the patient’s admission.
· Works with clinicians and primary care physicians to ensure appropriate pre-operative testing is done and facilitates medical clearance for the needed procedure.
· Proactively ensures necessary information for admissions is available and processed correctly.
· Maintains data and creates documents in electronic tracking system. May draft and type routine correspondence.
· Provides back-up coverage for other clinical support positions within the assigned department when appropriate.
· Sends electronic spreadsheets and updates to internal and external clients.
· Conducts written or verbal follow-up on procedures.
· May send hospital booking information to the coding and compliance department to ensure that all relevant revenue is captured.
· May fax or batch materials for legal tracking purposes.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
High School diploma or equivalency certificate (e.g. GED, HiSET, TASC Test) from an accredited institution or governmental unit required. Enrollment in prescribed course of study in designated area may be necessary for certain positions.
At least 2-3 years’ experience in a medical delivery setting. Specialized training or experience in medical terminology, hospital admissions procedures, and record systems.
Must be professional with good communication and interpersonal skills. Must be detail oriented and a self-starter. Strong task coordination skills with proven ability to multi-task needed. Ability to handle unexpected situations calmly and effectively. Must be able to deal effectively with high levels of anxiety and patient emotion surrounding surgical procedures and hospital admissions. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail needed to avoid issues with scheduling both routine and emergency procedures. Knowledge of various types of insurance coverage desirable.
Post Office Square (Downtown Boston)
Additional client information: