Rewarding Career Experience for Healthcare Professionals
Medical SecretaryBack to Jobs
Location: Medford, Massachusetts
Date Posted: 22 Jan, 2021
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Schedules appointments for patients optimizing patient appointment availability. Assists patients with referral processing and communication with other departments. Performs outreach to patients for appropriate follow-up appointments.
• Actively involved in MyHealth enrollment by encouraging patients to sign up to MyHealth Online.
• Answers telephones following emergency and department protocols and expediting patient questions. Books same day appointments and relays messages as appropriate. Books MyHealth appointment requests.
• Runs reports from automated appointment confirmation system. Confirms appointments and follows through on cancellations. Reconciles system information with the electronic medical record as needed.
• Sorts and distributes clinician mail (may be paper or electronic).
• Completes paperwork to obtain information from outside doctors, hospitals, health or social service agencies, and insurance agencies.
• Follows meaningful use guidelines to verify and update patient medical information in the electronic medical record, such as confirming demographic information, medications, allergies and chief medical complaints, and ensuring the EMR patient data is accurate and up-to-date.
• May assist with the checkout function, including distributing the After Visit Summary (AVS) and appropriately booking follow up appointments per department guidelines.
• Provides compassionate front-line customer service and actively works to resolve patient concerns.
• Makes appointment reminder phone calls as needed.
• In a specialty department, makes outreach to patients regarding referrals, scheduling appointments, processing paperwork, and obtaining authorization numbers.Participates in care improvement activities as appropriate, such as Rapid Improvement Events (RIEs), Value Stream Analyses (VSAs), and Managing of Daily Improvements (MDIs).
• Assists with basic data collection activities for statistical reports or required studies. Ensures data is properly collected and accurate. Participates in special projects and ongoing programs unique to the department.
• May generate standard correspondence such as letters regarding normal test results or missed appointments.
• May be involved in rollout and implementation of upgrades to the electronic medical record.
• May assist with orienting new staff. Provides back-up coverage for other support staff as necessary.
• May develop and monitors provider appointment templates.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
High School diploma or equivalency certificate (e.g. GED, HiSET, TASC Test) from an accredited
institution or governmental unit required.
Experience typically acquired though one year of experience in a clinical or customer service setting
as determined by the department (bachelor’s degree may be substituted for experience). Computer experience required with the ability to use word processing and spreadsheet programs. Electronic medical record (EMR) experience and/or aptitude to master the EMR based on other technology experience required.
Hours: Tues and Thur from 8am to 5pm; Wed from 12:30 to 5pm
Education: High School