Rewarding Career Experience for Healthcare Professionals
Practice Coordinator IIBack to Jobs
Location: Newton, Massachusetts
Date Posted: 27 Jan, 2021
Provides support to a busy Hematology/Oncology practice by performing high-level administrative functions. Functions as an example to practice staff of efficient and effective practice support. Demonstrates and provides exemplary customer service that is friendly, helpful and reduces anxiety to all patients, peers, physicians, and NWH departments. Effectively uses various computer systems, learning new programs as appropriate. Answers multiple telephone lines; takes calls, screens and relays messages and/or provides information to caller. Works within the electronic medical record for scheduling patients and communicating with others within practice. Processes requests for information/medical records according to guidelines. Updates existing patient information with strict attention to detail and maintains patient privacy. Schedules appointments within the department. Assists with on-boarding and training of new staff. General practice tasks as assigned by Practice Specialist and Practice Manager.
• Performs all duties that are the responsibility of Practice Coordinator I.
• Greets, directs and/or assists patients. Assesses and prioritizes patient needs. Assists patients with forms if necessary.
• Opens, sorts, distributes, prioritizes and/or files incoming documents, mail, and other correspondence.
• Maintains and stocks inventory of supplies and makes recommendations regarding needs.
• Answers multi-line telephone system promptly and courteously. Gathers screening information; takes, relays, and manages messages and/or provides routine information. Retrieves voicemail messages, returns calls or forwards messages as needed. Assists in creating and implementing protocols for distributing messages appropriately.
• Maintains a strong command of hospital registration/scheduling system, including registering new patients, updating patient information, scheduling and rescheduling appointments as necessary. Ability to handle various tasks simultaneously, such as checking patients in or out, collecting co-pays, verifying insurance, and addressing concerns as they arise.
• May serve as a Schedule Template Builder. Knowledgeable in basic insurance matters to troubleshoot patient or staff inquiries.
• Organizes and maintains patient records, logs and other controlling systems; retrieves files as needed. Develops and maintains systems to assure accurate, confidential, retrievable information. Processes requests in a manner consistent with all regulatory and compliance agencies internal and external to the Hospital.
• Prepares and assists with all documentation necessary for completion of chart, insurance authorization, and third party payors.
• Photocopies and releases information to appropriate parties in a compliant and confidential manner (including requests for subpoenas, third party administrators, walk-in patients, etc.)
• Demonstrates understanding of the legal implications of disseminating patient information.
• Manages referrals as instructed by providers; completes prior authorization and scheduling of specialty testing and appointments using appropriate systems.
• Confirms upcoming patient appointments and verifies pertinent information directly impacting upcoming appointments. Manages Automated Call Reminder system to ensure accuracy and consistency with scheduling system.
• Performs all duties related to the revenue enhancement activities of the practice, including but not limited to co-pay collection, registration verification, encounter reconciliation, closing of the cash drawer, etc.
• Works collegially with others within the practice and hospital departments to support patient flow and operations.
• Complies with all practice, hospital, and regulatory agency policies and procedures as applicable to role group.
• Completes other special projects and administrative tasks that are assigned on a routine basis.
• Cross-covers staff as needed during planned and unplanned absences.
• Participates in practice improvement projects and contributes ideas and effort to enhance operations of the practice.
• Assists in training, orientation, and on-boarding of new and existing staff in the practice.
• Maintains an advanced level of knowledge regarding third party insurance, managed care and financial services, and resources available to patients
• Establishes and maintains databases for practice and physician use.
• Responsible for EPIC and Charge Entry Audit. Resolving Work Queues in Epic including, but not limited to: Follow Up; Claim Edit; Charge Review (Audit and Review); Missing Guarantor. Research and analyze denials. Correct errors to ensure charges are captured and processed, ensuring the goal for site errors is met or exceeded. Respond to billing and insurance questions from patients and staff. Reviews chart and office notes, pre-authorizations, hospital documents, etc. to resolve work queue errors and denials.
• Gathers and provides reports or metrics as requested by leadership.
• Functions as a resource to team members and leadership in troubleshooting patient inquiries or concerns; in all revenue enhancement (insurance accuracy, billing, and charge capture) or expense reduction activities; and in general practice operations.
• High school graduate or equivalent, Associate's degree highly preferred
• Minimum two-years medical office experience
• Ability to type 60 words per minute
• Proficiency in word processing, data entry, and general PC based applications required
• Knowledge of medical terminology required
• Proficiency in communication – verbal and written
• Demonstrated evidence of:
o effective communication skills
o ability to problem solve
o ability to get along with others
o ability to confront issues appropriately
o ability to handle confidential and potentially sensitive information
Education: High School