Rewarding Career Experience for Healthcare Professionals
Coordinator IBack to Jobs
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Date Posted: 16 Sep, 2020
Position Title: Coordinator I
Position Type: Contract
Source ID: 38389
Location: Boston, MA
Duration of Assignment: 4 months
Hours: between 7am and 7pm. Weekends + 2-3 weekdays
Location: Boston, MA
Start date: ASAP, 2 weeks after receiving an offer
Contract duration: 4 months Schedule: 40 hours / week (weekends + 2-3 weekdays) Shifts between 7am-7pm
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Serves as a member of a team dedicated to coordinating patient specimens for the Center for Advanced Molecular Diagnostics (CAMD) which is a part of the Department of Pathology. The CAMD is a multi-institutional service consisting of the Molecular Diagnostics, Clinical Cytogenetics and Profile laboratories. Between the laboratories, approximately 20,000 samples are accessioned on an annual basis.
Reporting to the CAMD Administrator, this position is responsible for receiving, accessioning, coordinating and tracking specimens while handling inquiries from clinicians and verifying patient and client documentation.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Under close supervision from Senior CMD Coordinator and/or Supervisor:
a. Evaluates requisition information and accessions cases into the Anatomic Pathology laboratory information system (LIS), PowerPath
b. Receives samples, verifies and gathers patient and test information as needed
c. Documents information associated with patient specimens, testing and inquiries
d. Troubleshoots basic problems related to specimen and patient information
e. Assists in the filing and logging out patient charts to off-site storage.
f. Assists in the return of patient material to storage areas within the Department of Pathology
g. Retrieves and organizes paraffin blocks/slides from the hospital material banks
h. Organizes slides for Pathologist review and records the Pathologist annotations
i. Expedites requests for rapid test processing and facilitates communication between clinicians and Laboratory professional staff
j. Scan and organize H&E slides into images using a whole-slide image scanner
2. Maintains established department policies , procedures and objectives, including the areas of quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control.
3. Performs all other duties and responsibilities as directed.
QUALIFICATIONS: (MUST be realistic, neither overstated nor understated, and related to the essential functions of the job.)
At least an Associate Degree required. Bachelor Degree preferred. Familiarity of medical terminology preferred. Up to one year experience in a Clinical laboratory preferred, but not required
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
• Must possess excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize work appropriately.
• Ability to methodically record data with a very high level of accuracy.
• Good interpersonal skills to interact effectively with co-workers, department staff and referring providers.
• Strong computer skills with specific knowledge of Microsoft Office : Word , Excel and PowerPoint
• Ability to work in a fast-paced dynamic work environment
• Ability to work collaboratively with a team
• Must be able to handle confidential patient information with absolute discretion and sound judgment
Education: Bachelors Degree