Rewarding Career Experience for Healthcare Professionals
Senior Administrative AssistantBack to Jobs
Location: Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts
Date Posted: 22 Jan, 2020
Position Title: Senior Administrative Assistant
Position Type: Contract
Position Type: Contract
Source ID: 38157
Location: Jamaica Plain, MA
Duration of Assignment: Maternity leave coverage
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
*supporting two physicians
Senior Administrative Assistant
• Under minimal supervision and following established policies and procedures, provides advanced administrative support for the provider or administrator.
• Transcribes and types complex materials, schedules appointments and meetings, maintains files and records and performs special projects requiring in depth knowledge of divisional areas of responsibility.
• The assistant must be able to use tact and discretion in receiving and screening visitors, telephone calls, obtaining and relaying confidential and/or sensitive information. Plans and organizes work to comply with established priorities and deadlines.
• Must have good judgment scheduling appointments, meetings, and travel time within the Outlook calendar.
• Manages and reserves meeting locations, orders needed supplies and services, as well as prepares agenda and other materials.
• Prepares travel arrangements, including airline reservations, and hotel accommodations, as necessary.
• Monitors and maintains record keeping systems, including highly sensitive and/or critical administrative and financial data.
• Monitors and reconciles expenses, researching and resolving errors or discrepancies. Collects, organizes and prepares information for submission of travel and other expense reimbursements.
• Plans, prepares and organizes logistic and administrative requirements for seminars, conferences and other special programs or events. Obtains and organizes planning information, prepares or orders publicity materials and advertisements, reserves event location(s) and secures necessary supplies, equipment and services. Prepares program syllabus/schedules, collects and organizes teaching materials, receives and records registration forms and fees and monitors expenses.
• May coordinate and prepare presentation/material for the monthly faculty meetings including communication of agendas, minutes, and other departmental ad-hoc needs.
• Support the Division with data collection and reporting around key quality and service metrics via the Balanced Scorecard.
• May transcribe and type from recorded dictation, shorthand or rough draft correspondence, reports, manuscripts, charts and other materials for clinical, administrative or research purposes, including highly complex and/or confidential financial/business documents. Proofreads and edits materials for accuracy, consistency and clarity. Receives and screens correspondence, composing and preparing responses on administrative matters as appropriate.
• Provides patient care regarding: clinic sessions, scheduling surgeries, appointments, tests, and admissions for patients.
• Engages with other departments/hospitals to coordinate services as needed, obtain outside records to ensure clinical staff have sufficient information for patient encounters.
• Monitors daily schedule and exam room and operating room utilization, communicate with clinicians, patients, visitors, and managers to set expectations and maintain efficient flow.
• Obtains, verifies, records, and processes required patient demographics, referrals, authorizations, and insurance/payment information.
• Attends divisional staff and other meetings as requested.
• Assist with special projects as directed.
• Assist in training and orienting new administrative staff members as needed.
• Provide cross coverage for administrative assistants.
• Follow HIPAA guidelines for the management of patient privacy and confidentiality.
• Other duties as assigned.
Level of education required:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience preferred.
• 3+ years in administrative experience (large health care facility a plus)
• Experience in clinical operations (preferably within surgery).
• Excellent computer skills: proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
Work experience required:
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Knowledge of Medical Terminology is preferred.
• Computer knowledge required: Windows, MS Outlook, MS Word and MS Excel.
• Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines and work under pressure.
• Ability to use discretion in confidential matters.
• Ability to read, write and articulate in English is required.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Technical skills required:
• Knowledge of practice operations and standards.
• Understanding of procedures including filing, copying, scanning, printing, and faxing.
• Phone skills: Ability to use phone system (answer and screen calls, put on hold), handle more complex calls and give more detailed information.
• Verbal skills: Ability to interpret information as appropriate, answer more complex questions in the most professional manner and communicate in a professional, courteous, clear and concise manner.
• Organization Skills: Ability to manage work processes in a neat and orderly way and to sort and alphabetize. Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively, follow established protocols, and work within systems.
• Writing Skills: Ability to correspond and communicate with others clearly and effectively in writing (via e-mail, memo or interoffice note) and to take complete and accurate messages. May respond directly on behalf of manager/provider without direction or instruction.
• System Skills: Ability to type and enter data effectively and at a more advanced level. Intermediate level computer skills including the ability to use word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation applications.
• Intermediate understanding and use of medical terminology.
• Intermediate comprehension of billing and fiscal information.
• Knowledgeable and compliant with all hospital, State and Federal requirements (where applicable to job performance), including policy and procedures with The Joint Commission and HIPAA.